Saturday, July 16, 2011

"I'll have the dinner salad"......

In a Buffalo NY suburb there is an iconic joint where people flock to enjoy renowned chicken wings.  No, not the Anchor Bar (which I spent more hours at than Bryant & Stratton Business Institute across the street).  It's called 'Duff's' and they also have yummy wings.  I can't stress this enough....YOU GO TO DUFF'S FOR CHICKEN WINGS.

Beefcake (pet name for my fella Paulie) & I beat the dinner rush and were promptly seated at a cozy spot between two occupied tables.  As the minutes passed I noticed the waiting area become more & more congested. As even more minutes passed it was apparent that the wait time was becoming substantial. 

A couple of young ladies seated next to us soon vacated their spot with bellies blissfully digesting chicken wing meats & beers.  Moments later the cheerful waitress seated the new occupants of the romantic corner table.  As much as I enjoy the company of BC (Beefcake), I can't help but study the social dynamics of nearby patrons.  It wasn't long before I felt like I had front row seats at the taping of a sitcom made just for me!

Enter: Dude with thumbs firmly fixed in text mode....girl with a sour puss from having to wait for an open table.  Approximately 3 minutes pass and the girl growls, "That waitress hasn't come over yet...I'm STARVING!...I'm SO hungry I feel SICK...This is ridiculous!"  Meanwhile the dude has not lifted his thumbs from the cell phone & in the time it took the waitress to return to them, they had ample opportunity to browse the menu and have all components of their meal ready to recite.  Enter:  The waitress.  She addresses the young lady first, "What can I get you?"  (Note - Technically she could have simply asked, "How do you want 'em - hot, medium or mild?" since everyone goes to Duff's for CHICKEN WINGS).  The lady patron asks, "Do you have a fish fry?"  The cheerful face of waitress goes flat as she replies, "No...I'm sorry, we don't".  Lady patron (with look of disgust) responds, "Then I'll just have a dinner salad".  Her companion diverts his eyes from the cell phone long enough to order, you guessed it...CHICKEN WINGS.  The once cheerful waitress walks away with eyes rolling.

Moral of the story - If you want Chicken Parm, don't go to Taco Bell - If you want Spanikopita, don't go to Peking Kitchen & if you want Fish Fry....DON'T GO TO DUFF'S!

No comments: